Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database:
Morris 'Mon' Lazarus
Born: 1856; Died: 1934; Married: 1. Elizabeth Gabriel, 2. Margaret Hatch
Morris Lazarus (known as 'Mon') came from a well-known Queanbeyan family. He was born in in 1856, the son of Nathan Lazarus and Harriet (nee Tilden).
Lazarus married Elizabeth Gabriel, but she died in 1895. They had had six children together and had run a greengrocery in Queanbeyan.
In 1902 Mon Lazarus married Margaret (known as ‘Doll’), the daughter of William and Margaret Hatch of Rosewood. Mon and Doll were to have two children. In August 1905, they purchased the Cricketers' Arms hotel at One Tree Hill. Lazarus was actively involved in his new community. In 1906 he was elected President of the Hall Progress Association.
In 1917 the Minister for Home Affairs, King O’Malley, prohibited the selling of alcohol in the new Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Previously, another North American, Walter Burley Griffen, had criticised the excessive drinking taking place at the hotel by the workmen employed on the new capital. The Cricketers’ Arms, the only pub in the FCT, was forced to close within six months. In June 1918 the licence was relinquished and the Lazarus family moved to Appin. After a hard fought legal battle with the Commonwealth, Lazarus was eventually compensated over £3,000 for the loss of his business and land.
Mon Lazarus died in 1934.
- Gillespie, L. L., Canberra: 1820-1913, Canberra, 1991
- Gillespie, L. L., Ginninderra: Forerunner to Canberra, Campbell, 1992
- Lea-Scarlett, E., Queanbeyan: District and People, Queanbeyan, 1968
- Purchase, S. (ed.), Canberra’s Early Hotels: a Pint-sized History, Canberra, 1999
- Smith, L. R., Memories of Hall, Canberra, 1975