Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database:
Margaret 'Doll' Lazarus
Born: 1861; Died: 1943; Married: Morris ('Mon') Lazarus
Ginninderran, Margaret Sophia Lazarus (known as 'Doll') was the daughter of William Hatch and Margaret (nee Ryan) of Rosewood. She was born in 1861.
In 1917 the Minister for Home Affairs, King O’Malley, prohibited the selling of alcohol in the new Federal Capital Territory (FCT). Previously, another North American, Walter Burley Griffen, had criticised the excessive drinking taking place at the hotel by the workmen employed on the new capital. The Cricketers’ Arms, the only pub in the FCT, was forced to close within six months. In June 1918 the licence was relinquished and the Lazarus family moved to Appin. After a hard fought legal battle with the Commonwealth, they were eventually compensated over £3,000 for the loss of their business and land.
'Doll' Lazarus died in 1943.
- Gillespie, L. L., Canberra: 1820-1913, Canberra, 1991
- Gillespie, L. L., Ginninderra: Forerunner to Canberra, Campbell, 1992
- Lea-Scarlett, E., Queanbeyan: District and People, Queanbeyan, 1968
- Purchase, S. (ed.), Canberra’s Early Hotels: a Pint-sized History, Canberra, 1999
- Smith, L. R., Memories of Hall, Canberra, 1975
- Warman, M., The Hatch Family in Australia, Canberra, 1981