Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database:
Elizabeth Mary Hatch
Born: 1880; Died: 1944; Married: William Hatch (junior)
Elizabeth Mary Hatch, the second child of Dudley Bard and Mary Ann nee Canty, was born on 13 August 1880 in Cungegong.
Dudley and Mary Ann were married on 16 June 1878 at the Wesleyan Church in Cootamundra. Dudley's occupation was given as fettler. They were both 21 years old and both lived in Cungegong. Dudley, who at 17 had migrated to Australia in 1874 from Great Chesterford in England, worked on the railway for many years as a fettler in the southern districts of New South Wales. In the book, A History of the Illabo District, it is recorded that Dudley Bard bought land at an auction in Illabo on 5 August 1897. The land was in Section 11, on the other side of the level crossing, adjacent to buildings on private land outside the new village boundary.
Elizabeth married William Hatch Junior in St Joseph's Church, Junee, on 17 February 1909. At the time, Elizabeth was living with her parents at Illabo and William was a farmer at Ginninderra. Will took his wife back to Rosewood where their first two children, Lillian May born in Queanbeyan (1912-2005) and Alice Gertrude born at Rosewood (1913 – 2000). Will and his wife lived at Rosewood until the Government resumed the land for the newly-formed Federal Territory. They purchased a property at Appin near Campbelltown where their son, Dudley William (1917 – 1989) was born. Will's sister Doll and brother-in-law Maurice Lazarus, former owners of the Cricketers Arms Hotel, had already moved to Appin with their family. Elizabeth and William then moved to Merrylands in 1919, quite close to where Elizabeth's parents were living, but within months, Mary Ann Bard had died of influenza.
Elizabeth died at home in Merrylands on 21 August 1944, aged 62 and was buried at Rookwood Cemetery.
[grateful acknowledgement to Marion Warman]
Warman, M. 1981. The Hatch Family in Australia: a Record of the Descendants of Robert and Mary Hatch, Who Came from Ireland and Settled in Southern NSW - 1828 to the Present Day. Privately published: Canberra