skip to content

Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database:
Gold Creek

The Rolfes of 'Gold Creek'

Anthony and Catherine Rolfe and their five children emigrated to Australia in 1849, joining his older brother William as a tenant farmer at Joseph Kaye's 'Springbank', Acton. In 1861 Anthony purchased 60 acres at Ginninderra, which was to become the site of their initial home, Tea Gardens. Further purchases of adjacent blocks followed, and the Rolfes established their family homestead Gold Creek, about a mile to the west, in 1883. Tea Gardens passed to Anthony's daughter Martha and son-in-law John Ryan when Anthony died in 1876.

In the 1870's the Gold Creek holding passed to Anthony's son Edmund, who went on to build up a large and very successful farming and grazing enterprise, after early years driving a bullock cart. As well as wool-growing Edmund kept racehorses and ventured into gold mining with Thomas Gribble Jnr.

Edmund married twice - to Margaret Logue (four children) then Margaret Keefe (ten). Seven sons proved a great assett to a pioneering farmer!

The fine stone 'Gold Creek' homestead, much altered but still standing, was built in 1883. Devout catholics, the Rolfes at various times hosted services, held fund-raising events, and helped establish St Francis (1872) and St Francis Xavier (1910) churches. Daughter Alice joined the Sisters of the Order of the Good Samaritan.

The 3,940 acre 'Gold Creek' estate, accumulated and improved over some forty years by the Rolfes, was resumed by the government in 1915 for £13,500.

Related Photos


Joe Burgoyne ⧉

Edmund Rolfe ⧉

Click on the caption (⧉) to view photo details and attribution.

References

< Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database