Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database:
Rose Hill was established by John Southwell, who acquired Portions 68 and 69, Parish of Ginninderra in April 1872, and lived there with his wife Louisa. The land appears to have been immediately adjacent the Hatch family's Rosewood, and these similar names have lead to a lot of confusion over the years.
John Southwell became very active in Hall village and affairs of the Ginninderra district in the eighties and nineties, being at one stage proprietor of the Hall store, and postmaster. He was also one of the first purchasers at auction of village blocks, and a one stage had very substantial land holdings both in, and immediately surrounding the village.
It has been difficult to establish exactly when he and Louisa were living at Rose Hill, but there is good evidence that they were there until around 1894, when they moved into Hall. It is reported that William and Margaret Hatch lived for a short time at Rose Hill while their own close by home was being renovated, and one of their sons, George Patrick Hatch moved into Rosehill in 1901 after his marriage to Anne Goodwin, second daughter of Mr and Mrs James Goodwin of Williamsdale. George and Anne lived there until 1909 when they left the district for Condobolin - an occasion marked by a community farewell gathering at Kinlyside Hall.
Evidently the Hatches acquired the property at some stage, because it is reported that Rose Hill - a property at that time of 1056.5 areas - was sold by 'the Hatch brothers' to Edwin Davis (April 1909), then sold again not long after to Joshua Charles Armstrong, who had married Ethel Southwell. While Armstrong was the owner, it appears that the homestead was occupied by Andrew McDonald and his wife Theresa (nee Hatch) from around 1910 to 1915 - at which time Rose Hill was resumed by the Federal government.
Click on the caption (⧉) to view photo details and attribution.
- Warman, M. 1981. The Hatch Family in Australia: a Record of the Descendants of Robert and Mary Hatch, Who Came from Ireland and Settled in Southern NSW - 1828 to the Present Day. Privately published: Canberra
- Gillespie, L. L. 1992. Ginninderra: Forerunner to Canberra. The Wizard (Canberra local history series): Campbell
- Shumack, S. (ed. J. E. and S. Shumack). 1967. An Autobiography, or, Tales and Legends of Canberra Pioneers. Canberra
- Smith, L. R. 1975. Memories of Hall. Roebuck: Canberra