skip to content

< Early Canberra Government Schools

Tallagandra School [1874 - 1926]

A Provisional School opened at ‘Spring Flat’ in 1874 after petitioning by George Reid and others. Seven years later this original building was described as a ‘disgrace’, and in 1882 William Affleck of Gundaroo won the contract to build a new rubble stone school for fifty children and residence, with furnishings, for £300.

Mrs Rosanna McAlister was teacher-in-charge at Tallagandra for 30 years (1876-1906), and was a very popular and effective teacher. Her farewell at Tom Casey’s home ‘Rose Villa’, chaired by Thomas Coleman, was a grand occasion. She retired to Ginninderra to live with her daughter, the postmistress there.

The second school was very severely damaged by fire in 1915. Joseph Reid purchased the surviving stone and deployed it in the construction of ‘Fernleigh’, his nearby residence.

A third Tallagandra School was completed in 1917 on a new site at a cost of £280 – funds recovered from the Treasury Fire Insurance Fund. It continued until 1927 – for the last four years on a Half-time basis with Mulligans Flat with James Gormly as teacher. Gormly moved on to Glenwood school.

By 1933 the Tallagandra school had been removed to Hoskinstown.

Location Map

Teachers

NSW Government schools from 1848

< Early Canberra Government Schools

If you are able to assist our work of identifying, documenting, and celebrating the early bush schools of the Canberra region, please contact us or .