skip to content

Margrie, Mr Henry William

Henry was the teacher at Jeir and Bedellick Half-Time Schools 1880 to 1882, and later taught at Tharwa. He subsequently taught at various other schools in the region including Demondrille and Collector.

Henry (Harry) William Margrie - second eldest son of William H. Margrie of North Yass - married Evalina Jane Gale, on 12 October 1883 at St. Stephen’s Wesleyan Church, Queanbeyan, NSW. Evalina was the second eldest daughter of John Gale, proprietor of the Queanbeyan newspaper.

Henry and Evalina had six children : Harry, Gertrude, Myra, Eric, Dorothy and John.

In their latter years, they lived in Bargo where they were well respected before finally moving to Sydney. Evaline died in 1938 aged 80 and Henry in 1949 aged 89.

Margrie Lane, Gungahlin, is named after him.

Schools

Teachers >

<< Early Canberra Government Schools