David Boon (Senior)
Born: 1836; Died: 1912; Married: Mary Ann [Plummer]
David Boon, described as an agricultural labourer, arrived in Sydney in the ship 'John Bunyan' on October 27, 1857. The son of David and Lucy Boon [nee Wooley], he was born at Ramsay, Huntingdonshire, England, on January 1, 1836. After his arrival in Australia, David went first to Campbelltown area. There he married Mary Ann Plummer, daughter of Levi Plummer and Frances (nee Guthridge) on April 9, 1860. Four children were born at Campbelltown before the Boons moved to Weetangera about 1870, five more being born in the Canberra district between 1871 and 1881.
By 1875 David had established himself as a farmer and in that year he and Shelton Smith, also of Weetangera, were mentioned as growing 'perhaps the finest wheat produced in Australia'. He was a keen participant in the local ploughing competitions; an 1879 report says that he Chaired a meeting of the newly formed Canberra and Ginninderra Ploughing Association at Shumack's Hotel Canberra (today, the 'Old Canberra Inn') and was elected to the committee [Goulburn Evening Post 16.8.1879]. In 1874 won first prize of ₤4 in the second match for colonial made ploughs at the annual ploughing matches in the Jerrabomberra Estate [Queanbeyan Age 29.8.1874].
He was also an active citizen in both church and political spheres. In 1889 he Chaired an election meeting at the Cricketer's Arms Hotel at which EW O'Sullivan MLA spoke. [Wizard's Notes Goulburn Evening Penny Post 29.1.1889]. Two years later he seconded a motion of confidence in Mr EW O'Sullivan MLA after he had addressed a meeting of his constituents at the Cricketer's Arms Hotel on Thursday evening [ibid. 7.4.1891]. The Boons were leading members of the Wesleyan Church and David taught and acted as superintendent of the Sunday school at Weetangera Church.
In 1881, with his wife and some of the children, Davis Boon left the district and moved to Ashfield where he died in 1912. His wife Mary Ann predeceased him on August 10, 1906.
Children of David and Mary Ann Boon:
- David William [1861-1925]. Married Elizabeth Southwell in 1833 (daughter of Thomas Southwell and Mary)
- Lucy [1862-1960] Married Samuel Williams in 1884 (son of Phillip Williams and Ann)
- Arthur [1866- ]. Married Maggie Curtin 1895.
- Frances Mary Ann [1868-1954]. Married Alexander William Gardiner in 1894
- Eliza May [1871-1946] Did not marry
- Ada Ruth [1873-1951]. Married Henry Edwin Philpott in 1899
- Frederick John [1875-1959]. Married Alice Waite 1910.
- Ernest Llewellyn [1877- ]. Married Bessie Cavanough in 1902 (daughter of Thomas Cavanough)
- Isaac Walter [1879- ]. Married Winnie Ferris.
- Clement Everard [1881-1937] Married Emily Porter March in 1909
- Gillespie, L. L. 2000. Canberra's pioneer families. Feb 15th. Supplement to Canberra Times. Edited by Robert Macklin.