Margaret 'Maggie' Maloney
Born: 1864; Died: 1949; Married: Richard Maloney
Margaret Read was born in December 1864 to Hugh Read (1838-1894) and Eliza Shumack (1840-1907). Her siblings were :
- Mary Maria 1863 m. John Shumack,
- Rebecca 1867 m. John Gregory,
- John 1868 m. Ellen Maloney (sister of Richard),
- Sarah Anne 1870 m. Charles McKeahnie,
- George 1872 m. Florence Fisher,
- Hugh Jnr 1874 m. Ethel Field,
- Joseph 1877 m. May Cartwright,
- Emily 1879 m. Charles Lucas,
- Ethel 1885 m. Robert Walmsey.
In 1892 Margaret married Richard Maloney, the son of Robert and Mary Maloney of 'Stone Hut farm', Yass Road, Ainslie and they lived and farmed at 'Hillside' in that area.
Margaret's brother John Read married Ellen Maloney, her sister-in-law, and they lived next door at 'The Pines' – the Old Canberra Inn.
Margaret and Richard had nine children:
- Francis ('Frank') Everard (1892-1968),
- Robert John (1894-1905) – died in shooting accident,
- William ('Bill') (1897-1978),
- Marie May (1900-1972) HAMILTON,
- Mary Ann ('Polly') (1900 -1972) Thomas-BROWN,
- Valentine Thomas (1902-1994),
- Edward (1904-1979) m. Anne May Cavanagh of 'Strayleaf' Mulligans Flat,
- Lisle (Lyle) Read (1908-1969),
- Harold (Henry) (1910–1979).
Marie May and Mary Ann were twins.
The children attended Stone Hut School (later named 'Gunghaleen'), on Yass Road.
Richard died in December 1946, at 82, and is buried in the catholic section of the Woden cemetery.
Margaret died on 16 July 1949, aged 85, and is buried at St John's cemetery, Reid, with her parents Hugh and Eliza Read and brother John.
Gillespie, L. L. 1979. A Pictorial History of the Read/Reid Family in Australia, 1849-1979. Privately published: Canberra.