The exact date of construction of Sunny Corner is not known. A number of sources estimate its construction in the late nineteenth century or at the turn of the century. The cottage is clearly shown on the 1915 Federal Territory Feature map, but not on the 1881 Crown Survey of Hall. The cottage is on Portion 11, Parish of Ginninderra, to the south-east of Hall and Ginninderra Creek, some 500 metres off Victoria Street.
Gillespie notes that the earliest known occupants were members of the Boyd family. It was subsequently occupied by John Edward Hollingsworth, and later by Horace Southwell, who lived there for a significant period with his wife Rebecca (nee Smith) and son Colin.
John Hollingsworth was born in 1877 at Yass, the son of Malachi Hollingsworth and Susan (Nee Curran) who were licensees of the Cricketers Arms Hotel from 1896 to 1905 - Susan alone after Malachi died in 1898. John Hollingsworth married Clara Janet (nee Warwick) in 1916 at Queanbeyan. He was later involved in the fatal shooting of Joseph Heaps on the Gungahlin Estate. He apparently suffered much ridicule over his part in the event - accidentally pulling the trigger of his gun, resulting in Heap's death. John died in 1952 and Clara in 1965, both in Hall.
Horace Southwell was the son of 'Captain' Samuel Southwell and Lucy (nee Gasson) who lived at Woodburn, Wallaroo. Horace married Rebecca Jane (nee Smith) in 1911; their one child, Colin Horace, was born in 1913. They subsequently settled at Sunny Corner in 1921. Horace died in 1946, and Rebecca in 1950, and are both buried in Hall cemetery. Son Colin, who became well known around the Hall district as the 'picture show man' - showing silent films in Kinlyside Hall - became the leaseholder of Sunny Corner (then 958 acres) in 1933, with a twenty five year lease.
- Gillespie, L.L. Gungahlin. An analysis of history, Report to National Capital Development Commission, 1985.
- Gillespie, L.L., Ginninderra. Forerunner to Canberra, Canberra, 1992