Stone Hut School [1873 - 1888]
The Stone Hut School began in 1873 It was located in an old building alongside the Yass Road a short distance past the Old Canberra Inn on the east side of the road on Edward Crace's property, Gungahlin.
It was replaced in 1885 by a new school built on the other side of the road from the existing school by contractor J Kealman at the cost of ₤125. The new school was a erected on Portion 158, Parish of Canberra. Elizabeth Colvin, teacher at Stone Hut at the time indicated in correspondence that she took possession of the new building on 18 August 1883. The name of the school was changed to 'Gungahleen'. When Gungahleen closed in 1923 (after the opening of Telopea Park School) it was converted to a residence for the Duntroon schoolmaster, David Jones.
In 1949 the Canberra Times reported the death of one of the Stone Hut pupils, Michael Scannell, a shearer:
"The death occurred at Yaralla Hospital on March 3 of Mr. Michael John Scannell (1887–1949), who was a pupil of the original school conducted in a stone hut at what was called Upper Canberra, in the vicinity of St. Ninian's Church on the Yass Road.
The late Mr. Scannell, who was 61 years, was an original Anzac, being at the landing at Gallipoli, and served in the 7th Light Horse".
- Wainwright, Humphrey
11/1873 - 10/1883
- Scannell, John
1883 - 1884
- Colvin, Elizabeth
11/1884 - 10/1885
- Nolan, Mary Clare
11/1885 - 08/1888
Maps - hand drawn sketches:
NSW Government schools from 1848
- Stone Hut School (external link)
If you are able to assist our work of identifying, documenting, and celebrating the early bush schools of the Canberra region, please contact us or .