Michelago [1868 - 2018]
A Roman Catholic School operated in the Catholic Church at Michelago for some years before a Provisional School was established. In November 1866 there were 29 pupils and the teacher was John Boland. In 1868 parents complained that the school fee of 1/- per week was too high, and one parent, Patrick Reddan, refused to pay. After the School Board reduced the fee to sixpence Reddam sent his children with the reduced amount, but Boland refused to take it.
The Council of Education withdrew support to the Catholic school on 30 July 1868. Boland complained that he had not been given advance notice and kept the school going until the end of July. The Inspector recommended that he be paid at only half the normal rate for July in view of the small number of children attending.
On 10 September 1868 Rev Patrick White of Queanbeyan submitted an application for the establishment of a Provisional School at Michelago, and nominated John Jacob as teacher. The parents who agreed to send their children to the school were:
W J Livingston
State aid of ₤36 per annum was granted from 24 August 1868, the day on which Jacob took up his duties as teacher. Having proved its viability the school became a Public School in July 1880.
When long-serving School Board member Rev James McAuliffe died in 1879, a proposal was submitted for Thomas McTiernan to replace him. Inspector J H Murray had other ideas however, noting that all existing Board members were Catholics, and recommending that new appointments should be non-Catholic. He also observed that the school was (still) being conducted in a Roman Catholic Chapel and that altar furniture, pictures and tablets relating to Catholic doctrines were exposed to the pupils at all times.
Some three years later the Architect for Public Schools, W E Kemp, submitted specifications and plans for a proposed new Public School and residence at Michelago. After a second call for tenders (three initial submissions being considered too high) the job was awarded to Sanders Helman at the price of ₤993. Helman was the builder of several schools in the district. There were then complaints about the proposed location of the new school – 'away in the bush two miles from the railway station' – but these were ignored. The Department of Lands had approved the appropriation of two acres for the school site – Portion 150, Parish of Monkellan, County of Murray – and the adjoining Portion 103A 'for school purposes' (this usually meant a paddock for the horses that teachers and children rode to school).
The new school was not for long at this location however. In 1896 the Hon Alexander Ryrie, MLC offered a new site for the school, and in January 1897 Adam Patterson's tender of ₤97/7/7 to relocate the school was accepted. On 14 April 1897 teacher James Lowe reported that he had taken possession of the relocated school. The school has continued at this location ever since and celebrated its sesquicentenary on 24th August 2018.
[Edited extract from Gillespie(1994) p. 98]
Gillespie, L. L. 1994. Early Education and Schools in the Canberra Region. The Wizard (Canberra local history series): Campbell
- Jacob, Mr John
08/1868 - 01/1873
- Cooney, Mr Charles J S
02/1873 - 02/1874
- O'Connell, Mr Michael
04/1874 - 12/1891
- McDonald, Mr Martin Livingstone 'Thomas'
12/1891 - 07/1895
- Lowe, Mr James Francis
07/1895 - 11/1901
- Shuback, Mr William
11/1901 - 05/1915
- Higgins, Mr E D
05/1918 - 09/1922
- Bunfield, Mr Alec
09/1922 - 08/1929
- Heard, Mr Samuel
08/1929 - 09/1929
- King, Mr Samuel
09/1929 - 08/1938
NSW Government schools from 1848
- Michelago (external link)
If you are able to assist our work of identifying, documenting, and celebrating the early bush schools of the Canberra region, please contact us or .