skip to content

< Early Canberra Government Schools

Shannons Flat [1906 - 1965]

Shannons Flat Half Time school opened in conjunction with Grogans Plains in February 1906 with John McKinnon as teacher. McKinnon came to Shannons Flat from Jeir school, where he had stayed less than four months. It became a Provisional School in October 1906 and continued as such until it closed in February 1913. The school re-opened on a Half Time basis with Murrumbucca in May 1914, closing again in October 1924. Shannons Flat again operated as a Provisional School from October 1927 to August 1935, and from August 1944 to June 1957. It became a Public School in July 1957, but finally closed in March 1965. The school building was moved after some years to Peak View, east of the Canberra-Cooma Road, half way between Numeralla and Jerangle.

Location Map

Teachers

NSW Government schools from 1848

< Early Canberra Government Schools

If you are able to assist our work of identifying, documenting, and celebrating the early bush schools of the Canberra region, please contact us or .