Creekborough [1885 - 1897]
The Creekborough School commenced as a provisional school in Feb 1885 and closed in Jul 1897. The school was on William Moore's/John Walker's freehold property 'Creekborough', alongside Bungendore Road, Bywong. One source (Gillespie 1999, p. 56) states that the school was 7 ½ miles (12 km) from Bungendore which is a little noth of the 'Creekborough' station's original boundaries. This property was one of the first land acquisitions in the area, purchased by Moore in 1838 and subsequently owned by Walker. The property was one square mile (640 acres) and its boundaries can still be seen as the old crown roads marked on today's maps. Morrison Road and Alchin Lane in Bywong are on its original northern and western boundaries, respectively, and a line projected across Bungendore Road from Woolshed Lane, Wamboin would mark its original southern boundary. Snowgum Road, Bywong, runs through the heart of the former station. Creekborough Road is more than two kilometres north of the former property's original northern boundary.
- Cunningham, Lena
02/1885 - 09/1889
- Dent, Edward C
02/1894 - 09/1894
- Laws, Edgar H.
10/1894 - 03/1896
- Hathaway, Alexander D.
Hal time-Thornhurst, 03/1896 - 09/1896
- Roberts, Edward J.
Half Time-Thornhurst, 10/1896 - 05/1897
- Deasey, James
Half Time-Thornhurst, 05/1897 - 07/1897
NSW Government schools from 1848
- Creekborough (external link)
If you are able to assist our work of identifying, documenting, and celebrating the early bush schools of the Canberra region, please contact us or .