skip to content

Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database:
Flourence McAuliffe

Born: 1840; Died: 1886; Married: Mary Ann Flanagan

Irish-born, Flourence McAuliffe, left Jeir in c. 1865 (aged 25) to take over from James Hatch as the Ginninderra blacksmith.

In 1860 he married Mary Ann Flanagan, with whom he was to have eleven children. Mary suffered during her life from episodic mental illness, particularly in 1869; but Flourence stayed faithful to her and supported his wife's recovery.

In Ginninderra by 1870, the McAuliffes owned three small blocks contiguous with the blacksmith’s shop and supplemented their income with farming on the side.

Flourence McAuliffe was a popular man and invested heavily in a local community that, in turn, appreciated his efforts. Nevertheless, his term as the Ginninderra smith was dogged by bad luck. In 1867, fire destroyed his residence. It was only through the desperate efforts of the McAuliffes and his friend, Bobby Deumonga, that the smithy and his means of livelihood was saved. After the conflagration the small Ginninderra community came together to help the McAuliffes by donating goods and helping them rebuild. Flourence bounced back to the extent that he was able to donate land to the new school and, in a way, helped repay his debt to those who had stood by him in his time of need.

McAuliffe was no an ordinary smith. He made items of prize-winning quality such as the plough that won John Southwell a prize and much acclaim at the Queanbeyan Show. Shumack’s Autobiography mentions that McAuliffe employed a very skilled off-sider, named John Wilson. This man dislocated both wrists in an accident soon after and never again worked as a smith, but he had shown Flourence some innovative methods from Glasgow.

McAuliffe was also a champion for the free selectors and was elected chair of a public meeting, which led to the formation of the Ginninderra Protection Union.

It is clear that Flourence McAuliffe was a man of great resilience, who stoically bore the loss of his home and all his possessions in 1867. Nevertheless his blacksmithing and farming interests were such that he could employ workers and even donate land to the new school. Despite his skill and his courage, McAuliffe ultimately failed in business. In 1877 he was declared bankrupt. His financial woes and the illness suffered by his wife may well explain the family’s decision to leave Ginninderra around 1876. He died in Cooma in 1886, aged 46.

Related Photos


< Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database