Rediscovering Ginninderra: A database:
Springvale was the Shumack family's homestead in the old Weetangerra Parish.
In 1865 Richard and Ann Shumack were among the first free selectors of the area, selecting Portion 14, a block of 100 acres upon which they built their family home, Springvale.
Its most famous resident was Samuel Shumack, Canberra's first chronicler, whose memoir is a rich resource for the history of the second half of the nineteenth century. In 1915, with the resumption of his land for the formation of the new Federal Capital Territory, Shumack left the district and moved to Singleton.
Click on the caption (⧉) to view photo details and attribution.
- Gillespie, L. L., Ginninderra: Forerunner to Canberra, Campbell, 1992
- Shumack, S. An Autobiography, or, Tales and Legends of Canberra Pioneers (ed. J. E. and S. Shumack), Canberra, 1967
Further information about the Springbank Homestead site can be found at Canberra Tracks