Our pioneering 'conservation clinic' was a successful venture, with plenty of happy visitors. Dire warnings of severe storms may have dampened appetite for being out and about at that time, but those... more »
Eric Martin, a veteran of both professional heritage architecture and community heritage in the Canberra region, gave the 2022 Hall Heritage Centre address on 27 October to a large and very engaged audience.... more »
It was a pleasure to host a visit from the Womens International Club Canberra on 26th August. The Yass Valley History & Culinary Delights Circle of the Club, convened by Rhondda Nicholas, the Circle... more »
On 6th June the Centre received formal acknowledgement from the ACT Heritage Council that one of our prized artefacts, the Shumack - Stone Hut School Sampler, had been registered as an item of significance... more »
No, not that sort of lift! A $3,000 grant from the Commonwealth Department of Culture, Heritage and Arts, administered by the Australian Museums and Galleries Association, has enabled us to undertake a... more »
In January 2021 the Morris tanning pit was relocated from the original Dellwood Homestead site to our campus. The pit has been displayed in Palmer Street since that time. We were successful with an ACT... more »
Normal opening hours
- Every Thursday morning, 9.00 am - 12.00 noon
- Every Sunday afternoon, 12 noon - 4.00 pm
- by appointment (email: ) or 6230 9630.
The Centre is located in the former Hall Primary School, 17-19 Palmer Street, Hall. Parking is on Palmer Street or Hoskins Street.
Annual Address - Eric Martin AM
Distinguished heritage architect Eric Martin gave the Centre's annual address on Thursday 27th October. An audio recording of his address can be downloaded here.
Conservation Clinic - taking care of your treasures
On Sunday November 13th, in partnership with Family History ACT and the Austalian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Material we held hold a Conservation Clinic. Conservation experts gave advice on how best to look after your treasures. No charge, but donations were much appreciated.
Some recent Visitor feedback :
- "Excellent in so many ways!"
- "Such a fantastic place, so many memories"
- "Genuinely fascinating – extraordinary effort"
- "What as impressive display!"
- "This is an amazing dislay of artefacts of the area"
- "Really interesting. Loved 'Memory Lane'"
- "Excellent exhibition on selector families"
- "Loved the schoolhouse – great exhibits"
- "I was quite taken aback by the depth of your collection"
Heritage online - 'Bush Schools of the Canberra region' & 'Rediscovering Ginninderra'
This site has two major on-line displays. The first locates and tells the stories of more than eighty one-teacher bush schools of the Canberra region, and identifies nearly all of their teachers up to about 1940.
A second display 'Rediscovering Ginninderra' records prominent People and Places in the Ginninderra district (Belconnen plus Gungahlin) during the settlement era, illustrated by more than 400 photographs.
'From Ginin-ginin-derry to Hall'
Our main exhibition is a journey through time and space from Ginin-ginin-derry to Hall. 'Ginin-ginin-derry' was an aboriginal locality, first traversed by Europeans in the early 1820's and settled by them from around 1826, initially at 'Palmerville'. From the 1860's for half a century Ginninderra flourished, having its heyday in the 1890's and early 1900's when there was a church, school, post and telegraph office, blacksmith shop, police station, store, a nursery, and a boot-maker, Farmers Union, School of Arts, cricket club, and the large Ginninderra Estate.
A very productive agricultural area, Ginninderra supplied grain to the Araluen and Majors Creek goldfields, then wool to the Sydney markets. William Davis, then Tom Gribble, Edward Smith, Edmund Rolfe, 'Babe' Curran and others helped build a fine reputation for agriculture.
When Canberra was selected as the site for the capital and the new Federal government began resuming the land, Ginninderra's days were numbered. A new village site was proclaimed in 1882, and Hall began to grow into the kind of village that Ginninderra never quite became.
ANZAC : 'When Hall Answered the Call'+ 'Armistice and After'
'When Hall Answered the Call' commemorates the centenary of ANZAC. The original 2015 exhibition has since been scaled back, but the essence of it is preserved. Local soldiers' histories are fitted into the context of the Great War. A special feature of the exhibition is a re-created setting of a 'Welcome Home' ceremony that was held in the local Kinlyside Hall at the end of the war.
'Armistice and After', marking the centenary of the end of the Great War records the participation of the Hall district diggers in the triumphs of 1918, the euphoria that accompanied the end of hostilities and the difficulties of repatriation and adjustment to civilian life in a world where the promises of peace and prosperity never quite materialized.
A booklet by Allen Mawer 'When Hall Answered the Call' is available from the Centre ($10).
[See a review of the exhibition by Dr David Stephens at Honest History. ]
We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the ACT, the Ngunnawal people. We acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of this city and this region.