Schools Education Program
We have adapted our schools program which is now available as an on-campus program and an out-reach program. Schools can choose between:
- visiting our campus to participate in a morning of active learning activities focused on life and technology from the past; or
- booking our Heritage in a Suitcase resources which teachers can use in their classrooms.
Program for schools
A. Out-reach program - Heritage in a suitcase. Schools can book our resources for use in their school - cost of $50 per week. Resources are delivered to your school.
1. Equipment to play old school yard games such as knuckle bones, quoits, skipping and hop scotch.
2. Authentic artefacts, flash cards and modern pictorial equivalents to investigate how technology has changed.
3. Photographs from the past with discussion questions for small group work.
4. Australian storybooks about life in the past.
5. Examples of children's literature from the past.
6. A typewriter that students can use.
7. Classroom and/or homework worksheets (USB provided).
The Centre promotes its exhibitions and artifacts to primary school teachers as a 'hands on' learning option linked to the National Curriculum. Our program is ideally suited for Year 2 students, although Year 1 students can be accommodated in Terms 3 and 4 of the school year.
Expressions of interest to :
|ON CAMPUS PROGRAM||Students participate in 3 activities on a rotation:
1) Experience what it was like to be a student at a small rural school between the two world wars
2) Active learning experience within a local rural community environment from the past
3) Hands on encounter within a pre-electricity domestic setting, featuring changes in technology - making then and now comparisons
Students will also have time to participate in old- fashioned games like hoop rolling, skipping, jacks, hop scotch, quoits and playground draughts.
|LOCATION||The Centre operates from the old Hall Primary School campus, located in the village of Hall which is 15km north of Canberra's city centre, just off the Barton Highway.||
|FACILITIES||Large playground area, with toilets and seating for students. Tea & coffee facilities for teachers. Shaded recess & lunch areas available.||
|BOOKINGS||Send an email to:||
|COSTS||$3 per student||
The Centre will be open between 12pm and 4pm every Sunday. Teachers can visit the campus to assess the resources on offer and speak with volunteers about the programs available.