The Centre is again open for school excursions in Term 1 2021.
For those schools that cannot visit the museum's campus an out-reach program, HERITAGE IN A SUITCASE, is available for use in your school.
A. Out-reach program - HERITAGE IN A SUITCASE. Schools can book our resources for use in their school during 2021 - cost of $50 per week. Resources are delivered to your school.
1. Equipment to play old school yard games such as knuckle bones, quoits, skipping and hop scotch.
2. Authentic artefacts, flash cards and modern pictorial equivalents to investigate how technology has changed.
3. Photographs from the past with discussion questions for small group work.
4. Australian storybooks about life in the past.
5. Examples of children's literature from the past.
6. A typewriter that students can use.
7. Classroom and/or homework worksheets (USB provided).
Volunteers are also available to visit schools to facilitate a 20 minute presentation based on a visit from a 1930s School Inspector and writing with slates. No cost.
B. On-campus program - THEN AND NOW - Cost of $3 per student.
The Centre promotes its exhibitions and artifacts to primary school teachers as a 'hands on' learning option linked to the National History Curriculum. Our program is ideally suited for Year 2 students, although Year 1 students can be accommodated in Terms 3 and 4 of the school year.
Expressions of interest to :
|ON CAMPUS PROGRAM||Students can participate in 3 activities:
1) Experience what it was like to be a student at a small rural school between the two world wars
2) Active learning experience within a local community environment from the past
3) Hands on encounter with changes in technology - making then and now comparisons
|LOCATION||The Centre operates from the old Hall Primary School campus, located in the village of Hall which is 15km north of Canberra's city centre, just off the Barton Highway.||
|FACILITIES||Large playground area, with toilets and seating for students. Tea & coffee facilities for teachers. Shaded recess & lunch areas available.||
|BOOKINGS||Send an email to:||
|COSTS||$3 per student||
From February 11 the Centre will be open between 12pm and 4pm every Sunday. Teachers can visit the campus to assess the resources on offer and speak with volunteers about the programs available.