Born: 1846; Died: 1932; Married: Agnes Munday
David Rule came to Australia with his parents James and Mary (nee Hammond) and elder brothers William and John on the ship 'Herald' which arrived in Sydney in 1866. He arrived in the Ginninderra district in about 1862. On 2nd October 1871 he married Agnes Munday, daughter of James Munday and Ann (nee Trow) who came to Australia on the ship 'Irene' in 1852.
James worked for William Davis as head gardener at Ginninderra and later rented a farm from him near Gungahlin homestead. He eventually purchased a farm at Bedellick where the family lived for many years. It was reported in the Queanbeyan Age in August 1872 that fire at the Munday farm destroyed a thrashing machine owned by their son-in-law, David Rule.
"Mr G. Harcourt has opened a subscription list and has collected about thirty pounds to assist Mr Rule following his loss."
In 1881 David Rule took up land in the county of Murray, Parish of Wallaroo. This property became known as 'Allwood'. It is not known exactly when David and Agnes moved to Allwood and built the substantial slab cottage that survives today. Nine children, one of whom died at birth, were born to them between 1875 and 1893, and some descendants are still living in the district. David died in November 1932 and his wife Agnes survived until September 1943.
The original slab cottage at 'Allwood' has been fully restored by the current owners and has been recognized by Yass Valley Council's Local Environment Plan as having 'local historic significance'
- Gillespie, L. L., Ginninderra. Forerunner to Canberra, Ccampbell, 1992
- Smith, L. R., Memories of Hall, Roebuck, Canberra, 1975
- Queanbeyan Age (NSW) Thursday 22 August, 1872, page 2
- NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages - Historical Index