The homestead is located within Portion 49 of the Parish of Goorooyarroo. The parish map indicates that this and the neighbouring Portion 50 were purchased by Thomas McAuliffe. The 1857 portion plan indicates that T. McAuliffe purchased portions 49 and 50 on 3 September 1858 after lot 6 (Portion 49) was forfeited by James Wright. The purchase is also documented in newspapers of the time and was part of a series of lots sold under the name of Dungarvon Water Holes. The first indications of any structures being located on the property come from the Portion plan of 1861; huts and yards are indicated on Portion 50 on this plan.
Newspaper articles document the death of T. McAuliffe in 1878 and Mrs McAuliffe in 1898. The latter also mentions that Mr and Mrs McAuliffe resided for several years at 'Dungarvon'.
Both the parish maps and portion plans indicate a road that extends past both portions 49 and 50. An 1889 newspaper article documenting the notification of the road stages: Names of reputed owners or occupiers through whose property the road passes:... T McAuliffe (now G Read') 42 acres portion no. 50.
NSW land registry searches indicate that the property was acquired by a Hugh Read in 1875 (pers comm NSW Land Services Registry). Land Registry deeds then indicate that in 1893 Hugh Read sold the property to Joseph Winter, Elizabeth Winter and Archibald McKeahnie. Information from the descendants of the Winter family indicates that Joseph Winter married Elizabeth [nee McKeahnie] on 24 May 1893 at Well Station. The records also indicate that their son Donald Joseph was born at 'Dungarvon' on 17 February 1896 (pers. comm. Robin Astbury). Donald Joseph Winter died on 12 October 1896 aged 8 months. His funeral was conducted by the Rev. PG Smith, officiating minister of St John's Church Reid. His grave is on the north side of his mother's grave. A marble tablet in his memory was attached in June 1997 to the headstone for Elizabeth Winter (Salisbury 2011:294). It is not clear if 'Dungarvon' refers to the homestead located 600 metres to the north of Inglewood or to the locality known as 'Dungarvon Water Holes' in the original land purchase.
Joseph and Elizabeth also had a daughter Mary Josephine born at 'Well Station' in 1894 and another son John Colinridge born in the Gungahlin district in 1897 (pers. comm. Robin Astbury). Yewen's Directory of Landholders of New South Wales (1900) lists Joseph Winter and the holding name of Inglewood (p. 424). This appears to be the first mention of the homestead name. The directory also indicates that maize was being grown.
The 1915 Federal Capital Feature map indicates a D. Winter on the property and also shows several built features including two structures, yards, fences, old cultivation paddock and various fenced areas (Figure 4.9). The property was acquired by the Commonwealth in 1915 for the federal capital.
In summary current research indicates the following timeline for Inglewood:
1858 Thomas McAuliffe purchased Portions 49 and 50 Parrish of Goorooyarroo as part of a sale of lots at Dungarvon Water Holes
1861 Huts and stockyards indicated on a portion plan that includes Portions 49 and 50
1878 T. McAuliffe dies.
1889 G. Read indicated in newspaper as "owner and/or occupier" of Portion 50
1893 Sale to Joseph Winter, Elizabeth [McKeahnie] Winter and Archibald McKeahnie by Hugh Read
1896 Donald Joseph Winter born at 'Dungarvon'
1900 Joseph Winter at Inglewood listed in Yewen's Directory
1915 D. Winter indicated on Territory Feature map
1915 Commonwealth acquired Portions 49 and 50 for Federal Capital
1920s Occupied by Ernest Jones son in law of Joseph Winter
[extracts from Heritage Assessment, Inglewood Homestead, Mulligans Flat. May 2018. Navin Officer. A Report to Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate]